CHEMICAL BONDING
(THE ART OF SCIENCE)
A student of MPC as well as that of BZC generally feels that Chemistry is an odd subject among their respective combinations. In this context I may be permitted to mention that my intension is not to highlight the importance of chemistry as a subject for any science student but to focus how I lived with it in my 35 years of teaching profession. I shall take you back to about 45 years.
E.H.Rao, as Principal Inaugurating a work shop conducted by ENVIRONMENAL SOCIETY OF RAJAHMUNDRY
In 1968 I had to attend a Summer Institute in chemistry jointly held by UGC (India) and USA (America) at Andhra University, VISAKHAPATNAM. Professor and HOD of chemistry department, Dr.G.Gopala Rao was the Director and Professor Harry Brumberger from America was the subject expert. Prof. Brumberger mesmerized every one of us with his teaching prowess as well as with his ever smiling, dignified and caring attitude in and outside the class room. In the evenings we used to go to Ramakrishna Beach and Lawsons’ Bay to enjoy the cool summer breeze. Please do not jump into conclusion that we were in a state of suffocation in the class room. Actually we were in a refreshing mood as we enriched our knowledge by the guest lectures imparted by eminent professors from other Universities of the country in addition to the experienced faculty members of the Chemistry department and not to mention the key role of Prof. Brumberger. Every week-end we had an open-air dinner on the terrace of the chemistry department with cool sea breeze becoming the “Chief Guest”. Thus we enjoyed both “teaching” and “beaching” at Visakhapatnam for 45 days. We were in a state of tranquility and before we realized how six weeks of time had elapsed the day of valedictory function had approached; of course time and tide do not stop for anybody.
E.H.Rao addressing a work shop conducted by ESOR with Collector of East Godavari District as Chief Guest
On the farewell day the entire gallery of the meeting hall was full with Dr.G.G.Rao, the Director as the President and Prof.Brumberger as the Chief Guest sitting on the dais. After the formal presidential address followed by address by the chief guest, the time for feed-back by the participants had occurred. A selected few were invited to express their experiences in the Summer Institute. I know that you are impatient with my narration and so were the audience in the meeting hall on that day. I request you to kindly spare a few minutes and bear with me.
Now it was my turn. I was really nervous with blurred ideas and irregular framing of thoughts. I was neither a lecturer of English literature nor a seasoned politician both of them are considered to be natural orators. I had no other go. Slowly I was moving toward dais keeping my tiny brain cells continuously under activation. Suddenly a sparkling idea struck my brain which was transmitted to my auditory system through the nerves system. The idea was transformed into verbal form and slowly words were flowing from my vocal cords steadily and effectively
Flag hoisting by E.H.Rao on Independence Day
“Respected Director of the summer institute, Professor Brumberger, esteemed teachers and my dear friends”….
“I am an Inorganic chemist. Better to say that I am still a student of Inorganic chemistry”.
“I can explain the formation of an ionic compound where there will be electrostatic attraction between the ions of opposite charges”.
“I can explain the nature of a covalent compound where sharing of electrons takes place with overlapping of atomic orbitals to form a stable molecule”.
“I can explain how groups and molecules enter into coordination sphere to form complex compounds”.
“And, I can also explain the nature of metallic bond where the atoms are closely packed with delocalized electrons to form metal lattices”.
(At this stage every one in the hall was impatient. But to me every thing was going on in accordance with a perfect screen play. I was in the role of an actor cum director of a movie. The climax was reached)
“But….I cannot explain what type of forces is interacting between Harry Brumberger and the participants of the summer institute.”
(It is left to your imagination what had happened after I finished the sentence. After a minute or so I restarted….)
“I can say that any amount of energy in this world cannot break the bond between us”
I concluded my speech after two minutes. My name was referred by the honorable Director, Prof.G.G.Rao in his closing remarks. After conclusion of the function Prof. Brumberger came to me and shook my hand with a sense of satisfaction coupled with admiration.
That was the first time to use chemistry terminology in my speech. I continued the trend for the rest of my career. Shall I call it as “ART OF SCIENCE”?
I sincerely tender my apology to readers who are not familiar with chemistry terms.
Yours sincerely,
E.Hanumantha Rao
Lecturer in chemistry and principal(Retired)
Rajahmundry(A.P)
Mail id: email2ehrao@gmail.com



No comments:
Post a Comment